Tuesday 6 March 2012

Week 9 – No class this week, more game design talk..


This week I will be talking about some more game design, since we did not have class this week due to GDC. After playing some more of Dynasty Warriors on my PS Vita, I find it to be a great game after all, despite my initial reaction to it several weeks ago. I will also be writing about the game Little Deviants, which came bundled with the first edition PS Vita bundle.

            After playing Dynasty Warriors for several more hours over the weekend, I have found it to be very entertaining, despite what I had wrote earlier about it being very repetitive. Although you do run around slashing enemies that die very quickly, the game has its own value to it. This game lets you conquer China during the “Three Kingdoms” time period, and proves to be entertaining even after many people say it gets boring easily. For every territory you conquer, you can obtain weapons, items, and money, and this is what keeps playing the game. However, I must say, the duels in Dynasty Warriors are probably the dumbest aspect of the game. In this part of the game, you must defeat the enemy leader in a one on one battle, and there is no block function. Instead you must respond to the enemy’s actions, which can be aggravating, because once you get hit, the enemy keeps hitting you until you die, and then you have the option of retrying or quitting to the title screen. After roughly 10 losses in a row during my duel with the enemy leader, I finally gave up and went to play something else. It took me several more tries later on, and after 20 minutes of ‘Googling’ for strategies, I finally beat the enemy leader. This aspect of the game is very unique, but can be frustrating, as it involves the player spamming attacks until the enemy dies. Overall, I would recommend this game, but only to those who would enjoy this type of genre, otherwise other players can get bored easily. 
            Another game that I will be talking about is Little Deviants, which has been very fun for me so far. The game consists of many mini-games that involve a certain new feature or two of the PS Vita, which is an interesting first game to have on the system. Many of the games are very fun to play with, such as the shooting game which uses the camera and turns it in an AR game, in which whatever the camera sees becomes the background. Another interesting game was the ‘Rolling Pastures’ and ‘Shack Shower’ games, which involves the use of the rear touch pad, as well as the front touch screen. There are plenty of other games that involve the use of the different functions of PS Vita lets players immerse themselves in a world of fun. Overall, this game was very entertaining, despite the cover of the game (never judge a book by its cover), and uses many aspects of game design. 

           That's all for this week, stay tuned for more game design discussion next week..

Websites used:

No comments:

Post a Comment